Auto Driver 1482: Sardar's Caste Problem?!

I met Sardar yesterday when I took his auto from one end of the city to another. One way of categorizing the Chennai auto drivers is those who talk and those who don't. Sardar belongs to the former category. This category requires very little prompting from the customer to start talking, so did he.

But, why do I bother writing about my encounter with Sardar? Because of his current problem. He went to admit his son to a school and they asked him to produce a 'caste' certificate. Sardar is a Muslim born and brought up in one of the lower income areas of North Chennai and is not aware of being anything else other than a Muslim all his life. He does his prayers, he tried to be sincere in his vocation ('started driving auto when the minimum was 4.40 and tried to carry on without 'sudu meter', but, had to give up because it was not viable') and has worked hard to make a living. He does not know under what category of 'caste' he belongs. He told this to the school authorities, but, they declined admission saying that his child should belong to 'some caste' and he better find that out.

So, Sardar says, he told me yesterday, 'I don't know, you see, we Muslims don't have a caste, even the likes of Rawthars and Maraikkayars are occupation based groupings. Rawthers are horse riders and Maraikkayars are the fishermen, etc. If I go for my prayers and even if Abdul Kalam were to come late, he has to stand behind me, neither can he expect to be given the front place nor will be he offered. We may out of respect make way for him as individuals, but, according to our religion, all are equal.' So, how did he respond to the school authorities, I asked him.

'I told them to classify my son as the lower most caste if need be as it didn't matter to me, but, they insist that in that case he will get a few benefits, so, I better get caste certificate. So, I told them to mark him as the highest caste possible, but, nor will they accept that for a Muslim, and insist that I produce a caste certificate. I don't want to accept caste, I don't think it is good for us, but, I am in a fix, I don't know what to do. I am not sure what to do'.

In one sense, Sardar is the real urbanite, he refuses to be reduced in his identity, he is happy if his child just gets an education, but, the education system wants him to create an identity that he is neither clear about not wants to adopt.

I didn't have a suggestion for Sardar. Do you?

Comments